let's get healthy!

8:36 PM


I shared a little bit about my "health crisis" so to speak on instagram the other day. Basically I've had recurring tonsilitis every two months this past year. I've done more rounds of antibiotics than I can count and I end up sick almost every month. I feel horrible - run-down, no energy and subsist on coffee and my kid's leftovers. I do still cook but definitely not as often as I should. Last semester between teaching, running my business and taking care of our kids and home there wasn't much time left for anything other than placing a call for take-out. But enough is enough. I feel like the antibiotics don't even work on me anymore and frankly I'm tired of taking them. I'm tired of the band-aid solution to a problem that has deep roots. 
My mum warned me years ago of the toll that pregnancy, childbirth and raising children can have on your health but I guess as long I as I was "functional" I didn't pay it too much mind. But now it feels like my to-do lists are always half-way done because I just don't have the energy and I really don't like feeling like I can't do whatever it is that I set out to do. So it's time to re-group, it's time to evaluate and it's time to find a better solution to staying healthy and happy. 
I reached out to you and you guys blew me away with all of your fantastic recommendations and suggestions. I felt like it would be selfish to keep all of this to myself so I thought I would share some of the advice here in case any of you are in the same boat. Now to be clear these individuals are not health care professionals so do your own research and listen to your general practitioner. 

Here is what many of you told me:

- cut out sugar: it causes inflammation, suppresses your immune system and feeds bacteria
- take probiotics: here are few that were recommended - healthy origins and klaire labs
- add kefir, kombucha and lactofermented veggies to your diet
- add turmeric to your diet, perhaps in the form of liquid gold
- add garlic, echinacea, goldenseal, elderberry, honey, ginger and zinc to your diet
- research a no-carb or no-dairy diet (I personally don't like extremes but it might not hurt to do it temporarily to kick-start a move in a healthy direction)
- try umcka
- try oils such as oregano, theives and peppermint 
- add a little bit of apple cider vinegar to your beverage
- research and try colloidal silver, a natural antibiotic
- for colds oscillococcinum, cold calm by borion, host defense mycoshield immune support spray


I'm planning on heading to the grocery store and Whole Foods this weekend and I've ordered some probiotics as well. I'll keep you updated on my instagram page on my progress and I'll share if I see any difference. I'm just so ready for a change and ready to take my health more seriously. I'm trying to listen to my body more instead of continually ignoring warning signs and ending up in urgent care every month.

Thank you so much to everyone that wrote in! You all are giving me hope and inspiration! The internet can truly be so amazing sometimes!

P.S. I hated how cluttered vitamin bottles looked on the counter so I invested in some amber glass bottles and a labeler and voila! So much better!!

You Might Also Like

0 notes