wisdom from the classics: little women

10:47 PM

illustration by Anna Bond
As I begin to think about and select reading material for our children I've begun to re-discover the timeless wisdom of classics that I read many, many years ago. As I peek into the pages that I read as an adolescent I get a whole new appreciation and perspective now that I'm adult. Passages that merely sounded lovely before now take on heightened importance when looking through the lens of a parent, woman or wife. This all got me thinking that it would be terribly fun to put together a list of such passages every once in a while as a way of sharing what I've found to inspiring or simply thought provoking. I hope you will enjoy!

These are from Little Women:

“Watch and pray, dear, never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault.”

“Have regular hours for work and play; make each day both useful and pleasant, and prove that you understand the worth of time by employing it well. Then youth will bring few regrets, and life will become a beautiful success.” 

“...the love, respect, and confidence of my children was the sweetest reward I could receive for my efforts to be the woman I would have them copy.”

“You don’t need scores of suitors. You need only one… if he’s the right one.”

“Conceit spoils the finest genius.”

“I don't like favors; they oppress and make me fell like a slave. I'd rather do everything for myself, and be perfectly independent.”

“I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queen's on thrones, without self-respect and peace.”

“The girls gave their hearts into their mother’s keeping—their souls into their father’s; and to both parents, who lived and labored so faithfully for them, they gave a love that grew with their growth, and bound them tenderly together by the sweetest tie which blesses life and outlives death.”

“My Jo, you may say anything to your mother, for it is my greatest happiness and pride to feel that my girls confide in me and know how much I love them.”

Louisa May Alcott

You Might Also Like

0 notes