a week's worth of odds & ends

8:47 AM

^ always stealing my smoothies ^
^ trying to kick papa bear's allergies with these oils ^
^ sending some photos to loved ones ^
^ my "herb garden of sorts ^
We've been sleeping with our bedroom window wide open every night and that means that every morning we wake up to the sound of birds chirping and that just pretty much guarantees a good day in my book.
What can I say about this week that hasn't already been said in my last post? It's spring and we are eating up by the spoonful, every delicious sunny and warm bite of it. Seeing Birdie making her way around our yard makes me happy beyond belief. There would be days when she was a newborn, those hard dark days, when the only thing I could do was tell myself that one day things will be different - one day she will hold my hand and we will walk together. I could have never imagined how wonderful that dream coming true would feel. She loves being outside! The moment we open our front door she will gingerly step over the bump and off she goes galavanting onto the deck!
So much of this week has also been spent focusing on our health and wellness as a family and it feels so great to be intentional about that. We've both been hitting the gym more than ever and we are really starting to see all kinds of positive results from Whole30. I've also decided to try and find an alternative way of dealing with papa bear's allergies. He's been taking benadryl ever day since I've met him and I want to believe that there's a better way. I'll let you know if we find anything that works.
There's talk of rain for this weekend but I'm still excited about it, after this winter I'll happily take anything that isn't snow. Wishing you and yours a lovely one as well!!

You Might Also Like

14 notes

  1. I have suffered from terrible seasonal allergies my whole life, and believe it or not, the one thing that has helped tremendously is probiotics! There is lots of great info out there if you just google "probiotics + allergies." I can't tell you how much this has positively impacted my life!

    The other thing that has made a tremendous difference is homeopathic drops by a company called bioAllers: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_hpc?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=bioAllers&node=3760901. (I bought them from my co-op, but they're also available from a lot of online retailers.) They have formulas for tons of different types of allergies (pollen, hayfever, mold, general "outdoor" allergies, etc.), and you find the one that best describes what causes your allergies. You take the drops (under your tongue) several times a day, and over time the gradual exposure to small doses of the allergen(s) builds resistance. So, you get short-term relief, and potentially longterm/permanent relief! Oh, and if you buy this, make sure to get the drops, not the tablets. Drops seem to be much more effective! (Sorry to sound like an infomercial; I don't work for this company or anything. :) I was really skeptical when I bought this, but I was desperate to find something that worked, and was amazed at the results! Dare I say my allergies are now almost completely gone...)

    Sorry for the novel. I just know how awful allergies can be, and wanted to pass on what has worked for me! Mine were once so bad that I had developed an immunity to all over-the-counter and prescription meds. What a relief to be able to breathe without constant sneezy, itchy and watery eyes, congestion, etc!

    Good luck! :) And yay, spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this Jessica! I will take any advice I can get. We will definitely look into all of this. I feel so bad for anyone suffering with this. It's really crunch time now since spring here in the valley is awful for allergies. Fingers crossed! xo

      Delete
  2. I've been trying raw local honey for allergies. Remember it has to be raw and it has to be local. It has to do with the allergens in your area. I'm sure you know about it but if not, look it up!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have heard about this but never gave it a try. Thank you for reminding me Amanda! xo

      Delete
  3. Hi, my husband has heavy allergies too (hayfever). He is being desensitized each winter (a shot once a week, but I don´t know what stuff they give him, but I guess it´s not alternative medicine). Anyway, it´s for 8-10 weeks, and this spring, when all the blooming and blossoming started, he only had a bit of itching eyes and some sneezes, but nothing more. He prays that it stays this way. Usually it hits him hard in mid-summer.
    Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have heard of this treatment before and suggested it to husby but he's not too keen on the shots idea :) Thank you for sharing though! xo

      Delete
  4. Your herb garden is so sweet! I love the colours. I hope it works!

    Can I ask where the oil diffuser (I think that's what it is!) is from? Looking for something similar for our tiny apartment as my boyfriend has allergy issues left right and centre - I've seen those diffusers popping up online but can't tell what brand or where from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Absolutely! I got it from amazon it's called - Jasmine Aroma Diffuser. Loving it so far! xo

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the tip!! Will definitely check it out on amazon... hopefully ships to the uk! I'll try anything at this stage. midnight allergy attacks every few days are not fun! Will be staying tuned to what works for you and your hubby. x

      Delete
  5. I suffer terribly from allergies to (what feels like) apeverything, and actually did a Whole30 as I had read testimonials about it helping.. Oh boy did it help! I had a whole summer without any Benadryl or the likes, feeling great! I would see how he feels at the end of your month.. Seriously. I even carry an epipen for my food allergies, and since the diet, have been able to reintroduce so many foods!

    Feel free to contact me if you want more info..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! Thank you so much for sharing! You are absolutely right! We are in the thick of allergy season and papa bear hasn't taken Benadryl once! It's amazing to discover just how much what we eat affects how we feel. Glad to hear Whole30 helped you too! xo

      Delete
  6. I'm a fan of doTerra oils! Though I haven't used any of their oils for allergies yet, the OnGuard blend of oils helped me a lot this winter with colds (and it smells awesome!), as well as, Oregano oil. I have several of their oils and I also attended a little class with my mom last fall. I try to stay away from meds too...and I've successfully stayed away from antibiotics for over 5 years...yay! I hope the oils help you guys. Also, eat local honey...that is supposed to be great for allergies. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome to hear! I'm definitely thinking of trying more of their oils. And yes to honey! Now that we're done with Whole30 I'm looking forward to reintroducing that! Where do you usually get your oils? xo

      Delete

Let's talk!